To follow along with our 30-hour Dance Marathon 2019 coverage, check out our other stories here: http://alpha.northbynorthwestern.com/tag/dm-2019/
The Block 4 celebrity video appearance moved up to B-list from previous blocks' C-list celebrities. But Katee Sackhoff acknowledged that she's probably an unfamiliar face to dancers: "You probably don’t know who I am, but your parents do!" the Battlestar Galactica actress said before laying out a series of Dance Marathon tips. Here are five facts about Sackhoff.
1. She won a Saturn Award for playing Kara Thrace on Battlestar Galactica. They're like the Golden Globes, but specifically for sci-fi, fantasy and horror movies and TV shows. She has three nominations for best supporting actress on television, and her win came in this category in 2005. When she broke into the best actress category in 2008, she lost to Jennifer Love Hewitt in Ghost Whisperer.
2. She practices yoga and Transcendental Meditation. Other celebrities who've spoken in favor of the mantra-based meditation technique include Twin Peaks director David Lynch and Beatle John Lennon.
3. She's a cancer survivor. She entered remission from thyroid cancer in February 2009 after doctors removed the organ, which regulates bodily hormones.
4. She once played the Pink Power Ranger. The 2015 short film Power/Rangers finds the eponymous rangers broken up after losing a battle with the evil Machine Empire, who now exert control over earthly governments. Spoiler alert: In the end, we find out that the Pink Power Ranger is actually enemy Rita Repulsa, since the real Pink Power Ranger died in the fateful Machine Empire battle. The 14-minute movie was released on YouTube and Vimeo.
5. She’s starring in an upcoming Netflix series. Sackhoff plays Niko Breckinridge, an astronaut looking for alien life, in Another Life. Its creator and showrunner is Aaron Martin, who also brought us Degrassi: The Next Generation.